Author Topic: Lion Kill  (Read 198 times)

DaBoss

• Global Moderator
Lion Kill
« on: July 21, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »
Our daughter found this coues doe in a dry wash on her property a few days back.  She noticed some vultures circling and then landing the day prior to her finding the carcass so she decided to go look and this is what she found.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs.

bohunr

Re: Lion Kill
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:59:30 PM »
WOW...time to call that one in Boss.

DaBoss

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
Yeah, I think you might be right.  What I don't understand is that she also raises goats and chickens, both are free-range, and the deer inter-mingle with them.  I would think a domestic goat would be easier to catch and kill than a deer. 

454Casull

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »
You have to consider...
Venison is better than goat.
The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.

H. L. Mencken

DaBoss

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 01:27:15 PM »
How do you know, did you ever eat goat?

454Casull

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 06:42:54 PM »
Nope.  Ain’t happening soon. 
The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.

H. L. Mencken

bohunr

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 09:42:42 PM »
LOL

Mt Lion tags available over the counter in Arizona :)

Okanagan

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
Yep, my guess would be lion kill.  It is not as fully eaten nor as tidy as many kills in our area but is about like several I have found.  I’ve been checking lion kills with a biologist in our area.  He has a bunch of radio collared lions and when one stops in one place for more than two hours, they figure he has a kill.  If he stays a day, they go find the kill and take samples, note the age of the deer, etc. 

What has surprised me is that for deer up to two years old, the cat eats almost everything, skull included, sometimes leaving only the jawbone with teeth in it, lower leg bones and part of the hide. The lion scrapes the few remains together, maybe with hooves and a bit of paunch, and lays the remaining hide over it, usually folded and remarkably tidy.   Skunks, coyotes, ravens etc. show up right away and scatter what is left of the kill.  There is usually deer hair around because the lion first bites and pulls off a patch of hair down to clean hide before he starts eating. 

Re goat meat:  Have eaten domestic and wild goat a good many times and would rate most deer meat superior to most goat. We ate several goats, young and old, when I was a kid.  Any one animal on either side may extra good or extra bad.  Goats IME tended to be tougher than venison, and wild Rocky Mtn goats tend to be super tough, with good flavor.  Rocky Mtn tenderloin is surprisingly tough, though I never tried a young one.

Had a great feed of goat meat, rice, etc. all dumped on a tarp on the floor and eaten with fingers and flat bread.  Afghans in N. Pakistan.  In Canada a few years ago had some delicious spicy goat chunks in a red green sauce with an extended family of men from India.  I gave them 10 - 15 pounds of venison to cook the same way.  Every Sat. night all the men in an extended family got together in the oldest man’s garage to yarn, maybe sip a bit, cook spicy goat meat in a big kettle and eat together.  No women present. 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:27:58 AM by Okanagan »

454Casull

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »
Re Radio collars:
I wore one once and they found that when I stopped in one place for 2 hours that I had encountered a bottle of Bourbon. When I stayed in one place for more than two hours, they figured he has a woman. 8)

H. L. Mencken